Friday, September 18, 2009

My lovely daughter & my hard drive were sick together! part 2

Latey I was busy with other things and cannot continue part 2.
Let's carry on now.


One of the things I tried was change the power cable and SATA data cable, when I found out that my hard drive was not detected. Any lunck? nah.

So unplugged cables from DVD writer and plugged only HD. Anything? Nei. (this is called thway yuu thway tan lote thi)



So what should I do next?


I put a Linux Live CD, and browsed internet to find the solutions.


Wow! There were so many people having HD not detected or recongnised problem. Among them, one of the problems resembled to mine is firmware on that HD model.


So how can I update firmware of my HD? 


I browsed Seagate website and looked for the support section.


Luckily, there was a Live chat. So I jumped into the chat and start answering the questions asked by a Seagate Technical Guy.


What he asked was Serial No which is to check whether the DRIVE is under warranty or not and about the situation. And what OS I was using.



These are the instructions given by the tech guy.

1. Check whether the drive is detected in BIOS? => No
2. Can feel the HD is spinning? => YES.
3. Have I tried my HD with another PC? => Not yet.


So he suggested me to try with other PC.

And also he suggested me to contact Seagate ASIA pacific region as he was from other region.


So I signed up at Seagate website and submitted my case.

At that night. I went to my brother's hosue and tried it. My HD was stillo not detected. Sigh!


When I got home and checked my email, I found out that Another guy from the Seagate had emailed and asked me about my HD serial No, the OS I used, and blah blah blah...


I emailed him back with the necessary info before I went to bed.


The next morning, I checked my email, That Seagate guy's new email said that my HD's problem may be because of a firmware problem, which most of the people complained over the internet. So what he would do was he would arrange a free pick up for my HD and do a firmware update.

If the firmware upgrade is working, then the drive would be returned to me. If the firmware upgrade doesn't work, they will do a replacement.



So a courier from Seagate contacted me to come and collect my HD.
What I need to provide was to pack my HD thorougly and pass it to him. My HD was already taken.



So far no news from them becasue they said that it would take up to 10 days. I just worried about my data. I should have backed up some important data. I hope it is not too late.



Regarding with Seagate, I feel that their service is nice although their drive is so fragile.


Now we, my wife and I, are using Ubuntu 24 hrs a day. haha.
My wife really hates Ubuntu but I finds that among linux live distros, Ubuntu is the best for family use except it used up more than half of my RAM, 3GB. That means I cannot download anything apart from installing flash, java and some video codec.



I hope to get back my data and it would be great if they do a replacement. hee hee.



So one thing I learn in Singapore, if something's wrong with what you have bought, just contact the vendor. In Singapore, Big vendors know how important their good service to customer is. Frankly people in Singapore are found to be fussy, at least for me, haha.

 

At the moment, still waiting for the good news from Seagate. 


Best,
Aung Din



မသိခ်င္းေတြနဲ႔ ရႈပ္ေနခဲ့တာ...

No comments:

Post a Comment